Our Mission the Board of Christian Education states: “To support, promote, and represent educational programs & ministries within Suffolk Christian Church by fostering a culture of service, respect and love for Jesus Christ and one another”
Suffolk Christian Church has a variety of Sunday School classes. Some of the classes are co-ed, some are segregated by gender. Some have lecture style classes and some are like discussion groups. Some of the classes even offer coffee and refreshments! Check it out and see which class suits you. Sunday School starts at 10:00 am and typically goes to 10:45 am. If you have any questions, feel free to contact the church office at 757-539-9182. We look forward to your visit!
Suffolk Christian Church Youth are comprised of students in 6th-12th grades. We are an active, growing group with a passion to share God’s love with everyone we come in contact with. Sunday school begins at 10:00 am each Sunday in the Youth Room on the 3rd floor, with a short fellowship between 10-10:15. At 10:15 am, we begin our lesson using the “Bible Studies for Life” curriculum. “Bible Studies for Life” delivers compelling, biblical studies that are focused on real life issues affecting teens. These lessons are fun, informative, and are right on target for what we are faced with in our daily lives. The topics covered show us how to respond as God would like us to in situations and issues we are faced with as teens. Our lesson doesn’t stop there, as we are challenged to complete the “Live it Out” portion of our lesson each week by applying what we have learned when faced with these issues that affect us.
We gather at least 2-3 times monthly for dinners and fellowship outside of church. These opportunities allow us to create lasting bonds and relationships with one another, while building upon our relationships with Christ as well. In today’s world, it provides comfort and a sense of security to be able to spend time with others who share our same faith.
In addition to our fellowship gatherings, SCC Youth also participates in several ministry opportunities.
- We attend Mission Fuge camps annually, where we are able to share God’s love through various Ministry Tracks. These tracks include, but are not limited to, Children’s Ministry; Social Ministry; Painting, Yard work, & Construction Ministry; Homeless Ministry; and many others.
- During the summer months, we utilize what we have learned at Mission Fuge and bring that back home with us. Once weekly, we travel to a local park right here in our own community. Through recreational games, crafts, storytime, and playtime, we are able to show these children how much God loves them.
- Suffolk Christian Church is a mission oriented church as well, and we also participate in our church’s own missions. We had our first annual Food Pantry Drive Competition in the fall with the children of SCC, where the Youth and Children brought in items needed by our Food Pantry. We are looking forward to making this an annual event!
- The SCC Youth also help with the Community Suppers our Church hosts each 2nd Friday of the month by sponsoring one of the months to host the supper.
- Whether it be helping deliver fruit baskets to our shut-ins, serving at the annual Thanksgiving Dinner, participating in the annual Downtown Suffolk Christmas parade, volunteering with the Children’s ministries of our church, or participating in our Worship service; there are always ways the SCC Youth can serve!
As you can see, SCC Youth are a group of everyday teens just like you! We too are on this crazy ride called life and trying to figure out how to be active, responsible Christians in today’s society. SCC Youth group allows us a way to figure this out in the company of those who share our faith. We always have room for YOU and we invite YOU to join us for Sunday school, Mission activities, and Youth Fellowship!
Baraca Class, for men, lecture style, meet in their classroom on the ground floor of the church, which is directly under the sanctuary. Sunday School starts at 10:00 am and typically goes to 10:45.
West Memorial Bible Class
West Memorial Bible Class, for women, lecture style, they meet in the classroom on the second floor just outside the main entrance to the sanctuary. Here are some pictures of the people in the class. As you can see in the pictures, they are a happy group! AND, they have new (very comfortable) chairs! Sunday School starts at 10:00 am and typically goes to 10:45 am.
Co-President: Jane Arthur and Jane Marie Dailey
Corresponding Sec: Amy Hott
SECR/TRES: Audrey Johnson
Memorial Services for Members: Becky Bradshaw
Teachers: Jimmy Judkins, Jim Thorsen, Jim Goben, Alan Garner
In 1913 a small group of women at SCC, known as the class of Col. J. E. West, had a desire to do greater things for their Master and King. Hence, the WMBC of SCC became a reality. Our beautiful room is located on the second floor near the elevator. It has been redecorated over the years with many items donated by faithful member. The ladies enjoy the teachings of our teachers each Sunday from the Standard Lesson Commentary (NIV version). We invite all ladies to join us as we fellowship and worship the Lord.
“I am only one, but I am one;
I cannot do everything, but I can do something.
What I can do, I ought to do
And by the Grace of God, I will do.”
Adult Bible Class
The Adult Bible Class welcomes all adults (singles and couples) to join with us on Sunday mornings during the Sunday School hour for Bible study. For many years the members of this class have gone through the scriptures, book by book and verse by verse, studying the Holy Bible each week. The emphasis has been on the New Testament, but some books of the Old Testament have also been covered. Five class members share the teaching responsibilities, presenting lessons with the help of commentaries, authored by several Bible scholars. Discussion is a huge part of the lesson, as members learn from each other. The class is committed to serving Christ and enjoys the fun and fellowship of working together on many projects (such as Coats for the Community and Shrove Tuesday Pancake Supper) for the benefit of others. New members are always welcome. The class meets on the third floor, just outside the sanctuary.
Son’s Crusaders Sunday School Class
We are a Co-ed Sunday school class dedicated to studying the Bible, discussing multiple viewpoints, and doing good for others. The Bible itself is our study book although commentaries are welcome. Come join us for fellowship and to worship the Lord!